Black 2 Just Transition
Assembly & Training in Detroit, November 8-12, 2018
The East Michigan Environmental Action Council (EMEAC) and the Climate Justice Alliance teamed up for the Black 2 Just Transition Assembly & Training, that brought together 60+ organizers from November 8-12, 2018 in Detroit. For decades, Detroit has been home to some of the worst environmental injustices in the U.S., while also being a historic hub for visionary, black liberation struggles and organized resistance. Together, we examined systemic change pathways away from destructive industries towards models that center the health, well-being and self-determination of communities.
Our trainings centered the lessons, principles & practices of Black Liberation, Indigenous sovereignty, healing, environmental justice and other allied struggles for decolonization.
Assembly and Training Goals
- Convene up to 60 allied community organizers from around the US
- Establish a Just Transition political education hub for black and POC organizers in the Midwest that focuses on the intersections of environmental justice, climate change, black liberation and solidarity economies.
- Create an intergenerational, organizing space for black youth leadership development that brings together youth, adults, and a council of elders to build relationships, political alignment and strategy
- Develop organizing models that allow us to have strategic conversations on black liberation, black and brown mutuality and solidarity, and community self-determination, in ways that “de-silo” our issues.
- Provide space for Healing Justice and Participant Care throughout the convening
- Provide co-learning, creative space for African American, Latinx, Indigenous, Asian-Pacific Islander & Arabic people to share our cultures
Read and share the article Black Communities Must Be at the Center of the Environmental Movement.
Black 2 Just Transition Video
Assembly and Training Schedule
Thursday, November 8
Just Transition Tour – Moving from a Dirty Extractive Economy to a New Regenerative Economy
Friday, November 9
Exploring History to Understand Ways Forward – Environmental Justice & Black Liberation
Saturday, November 10
Just Transition History & Emergent Strategy Framework
7pm Fundraising event to Free Siwatu
Sunday, November 11
Just Transition Pathways for our Future
Monday, November 12
Debrief, Evaluation, and Next Steps
Join Black 2 Just Transition
Apply today to be one of the 60+ organizers.
Spread the word about the assembly and training on Facebook.
Need more info?
Contact Dortheá E. Thomas, EMEAC, Midwest Just Transition Organizer at firstname.lastname@example.org