at Climate Justice Alliance
It Takes Roots (ITR) Communications Coordinator
Accepting Applications through February 1, 2020 until filled.
You will only be contacted if we are requesting an interview.
Desired Start Date: Late February / Early March 2020 – flexible depending on timeline of hiring process
Flexible location within the US. This job will include travel.
Compensation: $65,000-$70,000 commensurate with experience.
This position is full-time with benefits including health, dental and vision coverage and generous vacation.
It Takes Roots (ITR) centers the leadership and power of urban and rural communities on the frontlines of racial, gender, housing, environmental, energy and climate justice in the United States to advance regenerative economies and healthy communities. ITR is a multiracial, multicultural, multi-generational alliance of networks and alliances representing over 200 organizations and affiliates in over 50 states, provinces, territories and Native lands in the U.S. and Canada, and is led by women, gender nonconforming people, Indigenous Peoples, Black, Latina/o, API, Arab and working class white communities. It is an outcome of years of organizing and relationship building across the Climate Justice Alliance (CJA), Grassroots Global Justice Alliance (GGJ), Indigenous Environmental Network (IEN), and Right to the City Alliance (RTC). Learn more at http://ittakesroots.org
This position will be housed within Grassroots Global Justice Alliance (GGJ) as the fiscal sponsor, and will be accountable to all four alliances. For more about Grassroots Global Justice Alliance, visit our website here: www.ggjalliance.org.
Key Duties Summary:
This position will guide It Takes Roots external communications and social media, coordinate ITR communications team comprised of comms staff across the four alliances, explore the development of an ITR media team, support member groups playing communications roles in programs, and coordinate with communications contractors for ITR. This position will be part of a growing It Takes Roots staff team, and will report to a member of the GGJ staff leadership.
Job Responsibilities (More detailed job description will be provided to those selected for interviews)
Lead ITR external communications and coordinate consistent public profile (30%)
1) Coordinate ITR social media presence with organizing team.
2) Support Creation of an independent It Takes Roots Media Team
Coordinate Traditional Media Work (15%)
1) Conceptualize and lead earned media strategies for ITR.
2) Develop and maintain media relationships
Lead ITR Communications Plans (25%)
1) Streamline narrative framing & design across organizing and fundraising teams.
2) Maintain consistent documentation of activities for internal and external communication about
progress, opportunities, and connections.
3) Create and lead media communications plans for ITR programs including media presence,
member engagement, and orientation of spokespeople.
Strengthen ITR Communications Infrastructure (25%)
1) Lead ITR Communications Team of comms staff across all 4 alliances
2) Maintain ITR communications infrastructure (website, social media, e-blasts, etc.)
Participate in GGJ staff team (5%)
Required Qualifications and Experience
● At least 5 years communications experience and demonstrated ability to lead collaborative communications plans in social justice sectors.
● Support the mission, vision and goals of ITR.
● Knowledge and experience on topics our members work on, such as gender justice, just transition, environmental justice, anti-militarism, indigenous sovereignty, housing and anti-eviction work, etc.
● Experience in multi-racial, multicultural, international and intergenerational settings.
● Excellent attention to detail and ability to maintain a variety of activities simultaneously.
● Able to work independently while maintaining close communication with remote teams.
● Ability to work flexible hours, including communicating with people in other parts of the country in different time zones.
● Excellent writing and editing skills in English for diverse audiences.
● Experience using social media & web development tools: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, WordPress.
● Experience and strong familiarity with media and social media monitoring software, such as Melt Water and Cision.
● Earned media strategy experience and knowledge of media communications trends.
● Familiarity with CRM systems and Database management (Powerbase).
● Knowledge of common computer applications: MS Office, Google docs, Dropbox, Mac environment, Slack, and Zoom video tele-conferencing systems.
● Willingness to travel: average 5-10 days per month in the US, and 10-15 days per year internationally.
● Proficiency with Design software such as Adobe creative suite.
● Experience with creative material design (photo graphics for social media, report layout, logo design, etc.)
● Ability to write and speak a second language, preferably Spanish.
● Experience with published writing
● Supervision and/or coaching experience.
● Driver’s license and liability insurance.
● Facilitation and training skills with grassroots organizing sector a plus.
How To Apply
Please submit Resume, cover letter, written sample of at least 750 words you wrote (published or unpublished) and 3 references (please include someone who has supervised you and someone you have supervised or mentored) to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Comms Coordinator” in the subject. Only candidates that are being considered will be contacted.