at Climate Justice Alliance
Climate Justice Alliance Donor & Funder Relations Associate - Applications due July 30, 2019
The Climate Justice Alliance (CJA) is seeking a Donor & Funder Relations Associate to support the system, operations, and day-to-day activities of CJA and its campaigns. This is a full-time position. Location is flexible.
CJA’s mission is to forge a socially and economically just transition away from an extractive economy and towards healthy, resilient local living economies, to address the root causes of climate change. The mission of Climate Justice Alliance is to build local resilience, remedy climate change’s root causes, and lead a Just Transition out of the extractive energy economy. CJA, launched in 2013, is a unique alliance of 67 community, frontline, and environmental justice organizations; movement networks; and support organizations at the forefront of the climate crisis. Our members are multicultural, intergenerational, and prioritize leadership among women, gender-oppressed, and persons of color. They come from traditionally underrepresented constituencies, including Indigenous Peoples, African American, Latinx, Asian Pacific Islander, and low-income white communities, often often located near toxic, polluting industries such as oil refineries, fracking wells, coal mines, power plants, and pipelines; rails, ports, and other major transportation corridors; landfills and incinerators; and industrial agriculture.
Job Description – Donor & Funder Relations Associate
The CJA Donor & Funder Relations Associate is a high functioning, detail-oriented, organized person, focused on strengthening relationships between CJA and our philanthropic partners and individual donors. This person will be responsible for supporting CJA’s objective to Move the Money to the grassroots and internal fundraising strategy, while also supporting integrations with operations, communications/ marketing, programmatic work and consultation with other CJA staff, work groups, organizers, policy, research, funder engagement personnel and regional anchor organizations across the nation to best assure the success of the alliance into the future. The position will be supervised by the Philanthropic Partnerships Director.
Core duties and responsibilities include:
Grant Writing & Prospect Research [60%]
● Support in the preparation of major grant proposals through research, writing, proofreading, development of attachments and work samples, and budget review, ensuring all deadlines are met.
● Prepare reports for all grants received by CJA.
● Research and track institutional funding prospects, along with Managing Director and Philanthropic Partnerships Director. Contribute to strategy for inspiring foundations, mission-aligned corporate partners, government partners and individuals to invest in CJA.
● Track program data, successes, challenges, and impact using systems in place at CJA.
● Acquire and maintain detailed knowledge and understanding of the organization and its programs to develop persuasive grant proposals, grant reports, presentations, and other development pieces.
● Support Director in developing monthly/quarterly reports to Directors and Steering Committee.
Donor Stewardship & Communications [20%]
● Cultivate, recruit, and engage prospective individual donors using an existing strategy.
● Receive, investigate, and respond to specific donor inquiries.
● Support year-end giving program as it relates to mailing lists, donor and prospect research, appeal preparation, electronic solicitation, tracking of results, and adjusting strategies as needed.
● Track and report results of appeals and special campaigns, adjusting strategies as needed by accessing database, pulling reports, and filtering data with support from the Managing Director.
● Work in collaboration with Communications team to design and produce all marketing and communication collateral material, including but not limited to: appeal letters, newsletters, promotional brochures, annual reports, letterhead, business cards, and event invitations and programs for individual donors.
● In collaboration with Philanthropic Partnerships Director and Managing Director, schedule meetings with prospective donors; cultivate relationships and schedule meetings with existing and new donors.
Operations Support [10%]
● Track current and prospective donors and funders in Powerbase, CJA’s CRM.
● Ensure appropriate gift acknowledgements and write timely thank you/acknowledgment letters to funders and to individual donors that are fresh and authentic and informed by CJA’s values and recent accomplishments.
● Manage and maintain individual donor lists and correspondence, with support from Managing Director.
● Manage and maintain the electronic and [hardcopy in future] institutional giving files.
● Clean up existing data sources and ensure constituent data is current and as enhanced as possible to support the most effective use of all the information available and ongoing updates.
● Manage the fundraising calendar and anticipate logistical and administrative needs.
● Other duties as assigned.
Organizational Collaboration (10% of time]
● Participate in weekly staff meetings.
● Develop quarterly workplans and submit quarterly reports on work progress.
● Provide information to and/or attend Steering Committee gatherings and calls as needed.
● Schedule and attend check-in calls with supervisor.
● Provide other support as needed.
● Strong organizational skills and proven high attention to detail.
● Excellent professionalism and judgement.
● Strong ability to prioritize and plan work activities, use time efficiently, and handle multiple tasks and projects.
● Proven ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner.
● Persuasive verbal and written communication skills.
● Past experience working with online content management systems and working remotely.
● Collaborative and positive attitude.
● Adaptable to changes in the work environment, manage competing demands, and able to deal positively with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
● Capacity to maintain confidentiality with high level internal documents.
● Agreement with and commitment to CJA’s mission, values, and principles.
● Communicate effectively with donors, funders, member organizations, staff, and others using advanced written, verbal, editing, and proofreading skills.
● Minimum 2-4 years’ experience grant writing, researching prospect foundations, and tracking deadlines/reporting. Alternatively, 2-4 years experience in grassroots fundraising and individual donor development.
● Some experience/knowledge base of annual giving programs, including direct mail and online campaign/mass marketing experience.
● Demonstrate a high level of initiative, attention to detail and the ability to follow-through on assignments to completion.
● Strong organizational skills, with demonstrated ability to prioritize, coordinate several projects simultaneously, and work independently or with a team.
● On a daily basis, show the skills and basic competencies of a fundraising professional, including managing multiple, competing, and varied tasks, time management, listening skills, problem solving, decision making, and delegation of duties and successfully managing work-flow.
● Excellent interpersonal written and verbal skills.
Database & Software Requirements
● Strong command of Google Documents, open source documents and ability to quickly learn new CJA platforms like Powerbase.
● Expertise with Microsoft Windows Office Suite, including, but not limited to, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
● Proficiency and experience using a CRM database a plus.
● Proficiency with WordPress or html a plus.
● Familiarity with print design and publishing practices a plus.
Education and Experience:
● BA or BS degree, or equivalent, in a related field.
● Minimum of 2-4 years’ progressive experience in similar positions.
● Demonstrated success and experience in fundraising, event management, and community and public relations at nonprofit organizations.
Compensation & Classification:
● This is a 100% FTE hourly non-exempt position.
● Pay range is $24-$27/hour, depending on experience and location/cost of living.
● MSC’s 100% FTE benefits package includes:
o 20 days vacation leave per year;
o 12 standard holidays and 2 personal days per year;
o 12 sick days per year;
o 1 week paid MSC family and medical leave after one year of service; an additional week of paid leave for each additional year of service, up to 4 weeks;
o Medical, vision, dental for employees and dependents (requires 30 day waiting period and a per paycheck employee contribution);
o 100% employer sponsored basic life, short-term and long-term disability insurance coverage;
o Access to a 403b retirement plan.
o Access to FSA and Commuter Benefits.
Please send a brief cover letter, resume, and three to five references to email@example.com with the subject line: “Application for Donor & Funder Relations Associate” by COB July 30, 2019. Please send your application as either a Word doc or pdf.
CJA is a fiscally-sponsored project of Movement Strategy Center (MSC). CJA is a values-based alliance with a deep commitment to building transformative culture and challenging racism, sexism, homophobia, and oppression in all its forms. CJA is committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds and challenging patterns of political marginalization and oppression.
CJA is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or belief, physical ability, gender, nationality, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by law. People of Color, working-class people, differently-abled people, and LGBTQ persons are strongly encouraged to apply.