at Climate Justice Alliance
Work with the Climate Justice Alliance
Our translocal organizing strategy and mobilizing capacity is building a Just Transition away from extractive systems of production, consumption and political oppression, and towards resilient, regenerative and equitable economies.
Our members have won significant victories against polluting and extractive industries, preventing new carbon emissions from reaching our atmosphere. We are building local alternatives that center traditional ecological and cultural knowledge and create a pathway for a regenerative future.
In order to create solutions and continue the work we do, we need a talented and diverse staff. Review our current job opportunities below and apply to work with an alliance that brings together urban and rural frontline communities, organizations and supporting networks in the climate justice movement.
Executive Assistant - Applications due September 23, 2020
The Executive Assistant is responsible for supporting and extending the capacity of the Climate Justice Alliance Executive Director by helping to manage priorities, communications, email, schedule, travel, expenses and other logistics coordination as needed. The Executive Assistant will work as part of the Radical Operations team, and will report to the Radical Operations Manager. This is a remote position, with Bay Area, Miami, New York, or DC residence preferred but not required.
About Climate Justice Alliance (CJA)
Climate Justice Alliance (CJA) was formed in 2013 to create a new center of gravity in the climate movement by uniting frontline communities and organizations into a formidable force. Our translocal organizing strategy and mobilizing capacity is building a Just Transition away from extractive systems of production, consumption and political oppression, and towards resilient, regenerative and equitable economies. We believe that the process of transition must place race, gender and class at the center of the solutions equation in order to make it a truly Just Transition.
We are a unique alliance of 71 community, frontline, and environmental justice organizations; movement networks; and support organizations at the forefront of climate change. Our members are multicultural, intergenerational, and prioritize leadership among women, gender-oppressed, and persons of color. They come from traditionally underrepresented constituencies, including Indigenous Peoples, African American, Latinx, Asian Pacific Islander, and low-income white communities, often often located near toxic, polluting industries such as oil refineries, fracking wells, coal mines, power plants, and pipelines; rails, ports, and other major transportation corridors; landfills and incinerators; and industrial agriculture.
Executive Assistant to the Executive Director (ED) (70%)
- Manage ED’s email (sorting, flagging, prioritizing) and respond to emails as directed by ED.
Communicate clearly and accurately on behalf of ED and CJA.
- Manage the ED’s calendar including: coordinating the ED’s daily schedule (calls, meetings, prep times, reminders, etc.), supporting ED meeting/call logistics as needed, and navigating the complex needs and schedules of the CJA Steering Committee and other allies/EDs within whom CJA ED works.
- Anticipate logistical and administrative needs for the ED.
- Coordinate travel, lodging, documentation and local transportation logistics for ED who is on the road 50-60% of the time (outside of the pandemic).
- Facilitate clear communication between ED and CJA staff, including scheduling supervision check-ins between ED and their supervisees.
- Support ED with setting priorities, backward planning, and meeting deadlines.
- Meet with the ED one time per week to review pieces of work and priorities, and to determine next steps.
- Track requests, invites, deadlines for the ED in calendar and on project management platform.
- Maintain regular daily communication via signal during work hours as needed.
- Prepare strategic and clear memos for ED when not able to meet during the week, especially when ED is traveling or in all day meetings.
- Responsible for the ED’s daily/weekly administrative tasks including but not limited to:
- Maintain passwords, account numbers and confidential information,
- Process reimbursements for ED,
- Update external communication details in database,
- Code and update ED PEX card,
- Troubleshoot with banks, credit card, etc, and
- Maintain confidentiality of all organizational and personnel matters.
Support Radical Operations Team (15%)
- Meet weekly with CJA Radical Operations team.
- Support on staff retreat logistics coordination as needed.
Collaborate and coordinate with CJA staff across the organization (10%)
- Active and timely response on all communications during work hours (email, phone, signal).
- Attend bi-weekly virtual staff meetings and 2-3 in-person staff retreats per year.
- Compliance with CJA remote working policies and procedures (calendaring, availability online, response time to communications, receipts, etc.).
- Schedule and attend check-in calls with supervisor.
- Develop a quarterly work plan and submit quarterly reports on work progress.
- Other duties as assigned.
Currently does not supervise other employees.
Expected hours of work
Standard days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 9am-5pm. Daily schedule is flexible within the proximity of this time frame, and will be decided in consultation with the supervisor.
***Please note that we would be willing to consider this position at half, three-quarter, or full-time for the right candidate. We do not want the projected hours to discourage qualified and enthusiastic applicants from applying for the position.
Occasional domestic travel may be required for meetings and conferences.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience
We are seeking candidates who can demonstrate that they: are detail oriented and organized; take initiative; and excel in relationship building.
- Proven attention to detail. Strong organizational skills (ability to prioritize and plan work activities, use time efficiently, handle multiple tasks and projects)
- Solution-oriented and high emotional intelligence.
- Clear verbal and written communication skills.
- Adaptable to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands, and is able to deal positively with frequent change, delays or unexpected events.
- Capacity to maintain confidentiality with high level internal documents.
- Agreement with and commitment to CJA’s mission and values.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- 3 or more years of experience supporting a national alliance and/or grassroots organization or equivalent experience is a plus.
- Strong command of Google Documents, open source documents, email, scheduling, Microsoft Office Suite or similar programs is a plus.
- Past experience working within online content management systems and working remotely is a plus.
- Proficiency or bilingual in Spanish is a plus but not required.
Position Type and Compensation
- Possible 50-100% FTE, hourly non-exempt position. Gross hourly pay is $28.85.
- MSC’s 100% FTE benefits package includes:
- 20 days vacation leave per year;
- 12 standard holidays and 2 personal days per year;
- 12 sick days per year;
- 1 week paid MSC family and medical leave after one year of service; an additional week of paid leave for each additional year of service, up to 4 weeks;
- Medical, vision, dental for employees and dependents (requires 30 day waiting period and a per paycheck employee contribution);
- 100% employer sponsored basic life, short-term and long-term disability insurance coverage;
- Access to a 403b retirement plan.
- Access to FSA and Commuter Benefits.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three references with contact information (email and phone number) to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 23, 2020. In the cover letter, please indicate your availability (half to full time) and explain your interest in joining CJA as well as your relevant experience to execute the job.
Climate Justice Alliance is a fiscally sponsored project of Movement Strategy Center, an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or belief, disability, gender, nationality, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, sexual orientation or any other status protected by law. People of color and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.