Building our Power by Changing the Rules
Centering Frontline Solutions
CJA’s policy work is guided by our more than 70 climate justice, frontline and supporting organizations engaged in local, state and national work on a wide range of issues from Racial Justice, Energy Democracy, Food Sovereignty, Zero Waste, the THRIVE Agenda, Just Recovery Work and more. Our 6 meta strategies guide our vision for a Just Transition to a Regenerative Economy.
When it comes to policy work, those closest to the problems have the most innovative solutions, and are the experts on the issues affecting their lives. We are changing the way governance works by building Our Power and pathways to solutions that work for frontline communities and workers, while pushing back against false solutions to climate change.
Every month CJA members engage in policy advocacy via a wide number of channels. Whether through sign-on letters, press releases, bill endorsements, or direct congressional engagement, we strive to fight the false solutions in policy and advocate for a Just Transition.
- Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (NY) and Sen. Ed Markey (MA) – GND Resolution (AOC/Markey) – ReIntroduction of the Green New Deal Resolution first introduced 2 years ago with more EJ concerns addressed including removal of net zero language.
- Sen. Ed Markey (MA) and Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (NY) – S.1244/H.R.2670 Civilian Climate Corps – the corps work will reduce carbon emissions, enable a transition to renewable energy, build healthier and more resilient communities, implement conservation projects with proven climate benefits, and help communities recover from climate disasters.
- Rep. Cori Bush (MO) – H.R.2644 Green New Deal for Cities – legislation that would federally fund city, state, local, tribal, and territorial governments to respond to the climate crisis, creating hundreds of thousands of jobs in the process.
- Rep. Yvette Clark (NY) – H.R.2394 Climate Justice Working Group Act – establishes a Climate Justice Working Group—comprised of representatives from federal agencies, community organizations, cities, states, and indigenous nations—with the mission of helping to guide the country’s just and equitable transition towards a clean, climate-resilient, zero-emission economy.
- Friends of the Earth- Oppose the Growing Climate Solutions Act – This legislation aims to build a framework for broad-scale development of carbon markets and to pave the way for a national cap-and-trade program.
- Center for Biological Diversity and Friends of the Earth – Letter to congress to enact a federal Renewable Electricity Standard in the infrastructure package and reject gas and other false climate solutions in order to address the climate emergency.
- [April 23] There Is No Climate Justice Without Abolition; Abolish The Police, Dismantle White Supremacy, Not Another Black Life
- [April 22] Climate Justice Alliance Calls On Us, Biden To Adopt Real Solutions To The Climate Crisis, Pay Their Fair Share Through Safe Solutions & Comprehensive Investments
- [April 17] Climate Justice Alliance Stands In Solidarity With Frontline Communities Battling False Solutions, Cautions Against Replicating Failed Cap And Trade Policy
- THRIVE Act – a transformational economic recovery package that puts over 15 million people to work in family-sustaining, union jobs across the economy — from clean energy to care work to manufacturing — to cut climate pollution in half by2030 and advance gender, environmental, Indigenous, economic, and racial justice, with particular attention to Black and Indigenous people.
- Rep. Jamaal Bowman (NY) – H.Res.180 Care Economy Resolution – The resolution calls for far-reaching public investments to build that missing, holistic infrastructure, to guarantee the care people need at all stages of life, and to treat caregivers and care workers with the dignity they deserve.
- National Domestic Workers Alliance + Service Employees International Union – Letter to President Biden in support of the Care Economy and plan to create over one million high quality jobs by investing $450 billion in Medicaid home and community based services (HCBS).
- Partnership for Policy Integrity – Letter to Reject False Solutions in the Clean Energy Standard Targets in the CLEAN Future Act (H.R. 1512)
- Asian Americans Advancing Justice-Atlanta & Georgia NAACP – Letter in response to Violence Against Asian American Communities calling on allies to stand in grief and solidarity against systemic racism and gender-based violence.
- Rep. Earl Blumenauer (OR), Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (NY), and Sen. Bernie Sanders (VT) – H.R.794/ S.938 Climate Emergency Act – directs the president of the United States to declare a national climate emergency and mobilize every resource at the country’s disposal to halt, reverse, mitigate, and prepare for the consequences of this climate crisis.
- Rep. Cori Bush (MO) and Sen. Ed Markey (MA) – H.R. 516/S.101 Environmental Justice Mapping and Data Collection Act – An interagency environmental justice mapping committee, led by the Environmental Protection Agency, will be formed to identify criteria, find data gaps, create a data repository, and work with communities to create an interactive mapping tool based on cumulative impacts to locate environmental justice communities.
Fact Sheets, Model Policies & Other Resources
Use these tools to educate yourself and your community, and to advance your local, state, federal and tribal efforts toward a Regenerative Economy.