Ujima: Collective Work and Responsibility
To build and maintain our community together and
make our siblings’ problems – our problems and
to solve them together.
The third day of Kwanza reminds us just how important community contributions are to the movement for justice. Let’s be honest, 2017 was a devastating and exhausting year. Yet, with your support, CJA united with Black, Indigenous, Asian, Latinx, Arabic, LGBTQ, and low-income frontline communities across the U.S. in a global struggle to provide visionary opposition to injustice. Trans-local Just Transition solutions to our current climate crisis resonate and intersect many movements. Together, we are building a united front to end extreme energy extraction and reinvest in strong local living economies that put power back in the hands of the people.
In 2017, CJA exercised power from the ground up with groups like It Takes Roots, the Majority, OurPowerPR, the BEA, and the People’s Climate Movement (to name a few) and grew our membership to include 15 new base-building groups!
We invite you to contribute, strengthen, and support efforts to expand CJA as a powerful force to help stop catastrophic climate change and put forth strong local, municipal, and regional solutions to our most critical problems in 2018 and beyond. To do so, we are strengthening relationships between community-based organizations, environmentalists, labor unions, food sovereignty groups, and individuals that are committed to engaging in change.
As 2018 approaches, CJA members are already hard at work finalizing plans for projects and campaigns slated for the coming year. Here are just a few highlights of the projects set for 2018:
- On January 17th, we host CJA’s third installment of our new JT Funder Briefing Series, Organizing New Economies on the Ground.
- Also in January, the next #OurPowerPR solidarity brigades return to Puerto Rico to support energy and food sovereignty.
- In February, CJA co-sponsors and Cooperation Jackson hosts the next BEA Just Transition Forum.
- In March,Texas Environmental Justice Advocacy Services (t.e.j.a.s.) hosts a Houston It Takes Roots – Ruckus Society Action Camp and #JustRecovery panel assessment of disaster-impacted communities.
- In September, Our next large national convening takes place September 2018 in conjunction with the It Takes Roots “Real Solutions” Forum, a global community alternative space to the Global Climate Summit planned by Governor Jerry Brown in California.
- In 2018, CJA’s groundbreaking report, Carbon Pricing: A Critical Perspective for Community Resistance, which was released on an international stage at the COP23 in Bonn, Germany, will be the focus of a national campaign including popular-education trainings to deconstruct carbon markets, geo-engineering and false solutions.
- Also in 2018, we will recruit communication and policy fellows, expand Our Power Communities across six different regions of the U.S., and hold a national energy democracy summit.
|The Climate Justice Alliance is a collective movement of frontline groups working toward a shared vision of possibilities, that is developing concrete solutions for a Just Transition, lifting up the Jemez Principles and rising tides that lift all boats. Give to the Movement. – Denise Abdul-Rahman, Chair – Executive Committee Member, NAACP Indiana Environmental & Climate Justice|
|Having an alliance of U.S. frontline communities to strategically confront the existing tyranny of our country and present real solutions is needed right now. – Tom Goldtooth, Director, Indigenous Environmental Network|
|Created and moved by frontline leadership, Climate Justice Alliance is uniquely positioned to move frontline solutions that move us away from fossil fuel extraction while anchoring us in movement building and just transitions. This historical moment needs a CJA and CJA needs your support so that the frontline can continue to slow down climate change, stand against injustice and build the future that honors our ancestors. – Elizabeth Yeampierre, Director, UPROSE NY|
|CJA is on the frontlines: creating a visionary economy that democratizes, decentralizes, and diversifies; that challenges monoculture; that builds resilience; that is sparking imagination, hope, and resistance across the country. It is too late to be timid – bold vision and action is what these times call for. Stand with the frontlines – support CJA. – Mateo Nube, Co-Director, Movement Generation|
|The wildfires, hurricanes and floods of this past year show us that we don’t have time to play games of climate denial or greenwashing of dirty energy. CJA is creating opportunity for solutions already coming from communities on the ground. We bring together leaders from North Dakota to Texas, Mississippi, and Puerto Rico who are advancing Just Transition and Just Recovery campaigns that will move us toward community controlled renewable energy. – Cindy Wiesner, National Coordinator, Grassroots Global Justice|
We thank YOU for doing your part in helping us resist destructive fossil fuel-based false solutions, work toward a just recovery from climate catastrophe, and create new pathways toward an economy that values meaningful work, community, and Mother Earth.
In gratitude and solidarity,